The Ordnance Store is the eastern wing of a grandiose 1834 military store designed by by perhaps Australiaís leading Colonial architect John Lee Archer. The original four storey building was completed in 1838; a further storey, in original style, was added in 1905. The building is included on the Register of the National Estate.
The collaborative endeavor of ten Hobart residents, motivated by the desire to work and live in self-owned accommodation in proximity to Hobart's historic heart, has resulted in the affordable transformation of the building into an art gallery, architect offices and five apartments. The external historic image of punched openings in a flush ashlar sandstone container prevails; ground floor security grilles have been reinstated and entry/end openings glazed, consistent with the new use.
“The Jury has commended this project for the way in which the architects have found, and implemented, new uses for an historic building that had been empty for a number of years, and was threatened with degradation. The Jury recognised that the stratum title, "non developmental, non profit driven" approach which allowed this solution to be realised, also may have contributed to some of the lack of consistency of architectural control and detailing.”
RAIA JURY CITATION